How many STIs are there?* In the 1960s gonorrhea and syphilis seemed to be the only well known STIs, and both of these could be treated with penicillin.
Today there are over twenty-five different STIs, and some of the most common ones are without cures.
 Among the STIs that can be cured, some are becoming increasingly resistant to modern antibiotics. Most people who have an STI are unaware of their infection and contagious state.
 This should especially alarm young people, because of the nineteen million new STI infections each year, nearly half of them are among people between the ages of fifteen and twenty-four.
 Common STIs include: Human Papilomus Virus, Chlamydia, Herpes, gonorrhea, and Trichomoniasis.
 Incurable STIs include Human Papilomus Virus, HIV (Aids Virus), Herpes, and Hepatitis. All of the others can be cured.
When considering the potential impact of STIs, we should remember the words of former U.S. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop: "When you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they have had sex with for the last ten years, and everyone they and their partners have had sex with for the last ten years."
 Further, people can get tested for STIs, be told that they are clean, and then transmit dormant STIs the tests did not detect. Most tests today pick up the majority of the infections they are testing for. The problem is that many people believe they have been tested for all STIs when, in reality, they have been tested for only a few.
What is Abstinence? What is Chastity?
Shawna Sparrow, a chastity educator in Saskatchewan with over sixteen years of experience describes it in her book Tough Crowd: "the short answer is—saving all sexual activity for marriage...Chastity is a lifestyle of sexual purity. This purity is reflected in our hearts, minds, words, and bodies." (p.1) Abstinence and chastity, while often used interchangeably, are not the same thing. Sparrow explains: "Abstinence can refer to any kind of activity; it simply means to restrain oneself from doing something. People can abstain from alcohol, watching TV, or even eating chocolate (can you imagine?). Chastity refers specifically to refraining from sexual activity [outside of marriage]." Chastity, therefore, is the more specific and correct term needed to address this issue.
Are there benefits to living a chaste life?
Many educators stereotype youth and promote "safer" sex with them as they do not believe teenagers can ever rise to the challenge of a healthy sexuality in the true sense.
Numerous studies, however, reveal the dangers of youth becoming sexually active early on in their lives, and confirm the benefits of living out a healthy sexual lifestyle of chastity. Teenagers who are sexually active have been shown to be linked, amongst many other things, to a higher chance of experiencing depression and attempting suicide.
Meanwhile, living out chastity teaches youth about strong relationships with the opposite sex, better communication, self-respect, how to set limits, and enables them with the freedom to control their own bodies instead of letting their bodies control them.
HOW PORN AFFECTS THE BRAIN LIKE A DRUG
On the surface, cocaine and porn don’t seem to have a lot in common but studies are showing that viewing pornography tricks your brain into releasing the same pleasure chemicals that drugs do. What’s more is your brain actually begins to rewire itself because of this artificial stimulation. It may sound crazy, but it’s true.
· To your brain, porn has the same effects as drugs.
· Porn hijacks the reward pathway in the brain.
· Just like drugs, you build up a tolerance so you need more porn for the same effects.
· Withdrawal symptoms can occurwhen you try and walk away.
HOW PORN CHANGES THE BRAIN
Neurons that fire together, wire together. Just like other addictive substances, porn floods the brain with dopamine. That rush of brain chemicals happening over and over again rewires the brain’s reward pathway ultimately changing the make up of the viewer’s brain. This can result in
an increased appetite for porn.
· Watching porn lays down new neoro-pathways in your brain.
· The more you use, the stronger the neoro-connections and the more difficult it is stop.
· That doesn’t mean you can’t stop. You can rebuild those pathways by avoiding pornography and seeking healthy alternatives.
HOW PORN CAN BECOME ADDICTIVE
It wasn’t very long ago that doctors and researchers believed that in order for something to be addictive, it had to involve an outside substance that you physically put into your body, like cigarettes, alcohol, or drugs. Science is now showing that different types of behaviors can cause addictions too, and viewing pornography is one of them.
· Porn can be addictive because of the level of neoro-chemicals released into the reward pathway.
· A tolerance can be built to porn and you end up needing more of it in more extreme forms
HOW PORN AFFECTS YOUR SEXUAL TASTE
Many porn users find themselves getting aroused by things that used to disgust them or that go against what they think is morally right. And once they start watching extreme and dangerous sex acts, these porn users are being taught that those behaviors are more normal and common
than they are.
· Porn users tend to think that what they see in porn is normal and even expect it from their partner.
· Habitual users have more accepting attitudes of violence and report feeling less empathy for
WHY WATCHING PORN IS AN ESCALATING BEHAVIOR
Because of its addictive nature, in order to just feel some sense of normality, an individual usually needs an ever increasing dosage of porn. The material that they seek out also evolves. Overtime their appetite pushed them to more hardcore versions to achieve the same level of arousal.
· Most users start on free porn, but it doesn’t end there.
· You begin to need more extreme versions of pornography and more often to get the same effects.
· Turning to porn becomes the users preferred solution to stress.
HOW PORN KILLS LOVE
In real life, real love requires a real person. Research has found that after men are exposed to pornography, they rate themselves as less in love with their partner than men who didn’t see any porn. On top of that, another study found that after being exposed to pornographic images, people were more critical of their partner’s appearance, sexual curiosity, sexual performance, and displays of affection.
· Real love means real people.
· Porn makes real relationships more difficult and less satisfying.
· Porn can make you cynical about real love.
WHY PORN IS FULL OF LIES
In porn, everything from the way people look to how and why they have sex is a lie. Porn users often get so obsessed with chasing something that isn’t real that they miss out on actual relationships.
· Porn is nothing but a production.
· Porn makes you miss out on the best parts of actual relationships.
· Porn is like sexual junk food
HOW PORN DAMAGES YOUR SEX LIFE
Porn often leads to less sex and less satisfying sex. And for many users, porn can eventually mean no sex at all.
· Porn leads to less sex and less satisfying sex.
· Extended porn use can cause ED for men even in their 20s
HOW PORN CAN HURT YOUR PARTNER
Several studies have found that partners of porn users often report feeling loss, betrayal, mistrust, devastation, and anger when they learn that the other half of their committed relationship has been using porn. Many show physical symptoms of anxiety and depression.
· Porn increases negative feelings in relationships.
· No serious research has proven that porn improves relationships.
· Porn makes women feel like they are never enough.
WHY PORN LEAVES YOU LONELY
The more pornography a person consumes the harder it becomes for them to be aroused by a real person or a real relationship. As a result, many users start feeling like something’s wrong with them; they don’t know how to be turned on by a real person, much less form a deep personal connection with one.
· Porn lessens your ability to connect in real relationships.
· People are often secretive about their porn use, separating them further from others.
· Porn can contribute to or increase other psychological problems in users.
THE PORN INDUSTRIES DARK SECRETS
To viewers, pornography can appear a fantasy world of pleasure and thrills. To those who create and participate in making pornography, however, their experiences are often flooded with drugs, disease, rape and abuse.
· The porn industry is plagued with drugs, violence, and rape.
· Many victims of sex trafficking are used to film pornography.
HOW WATCHING PORN CAN LEAD TO VIOLENCE
A few years ago, a team of researchers looked at the most popular porn films and they randomly picked 50 and analyzed them. Of the 304 scenes the movies contained, 88% contained physical violence. On top of that, 49% contained verbal aggression.
· Most mainstream porn contains violent sexual behavior against women.
· Watching violent porn changes think violent sex is normal.
· Studies show that after viewing porn, even non-violent, men’s attitudes toward women change.
HOW PORN WARPS IDEAS ABOUT SEX
Whether they want to or not, the majority of teens are getting some of their sex ed from porn. Researchers have repeatedly found that people who have seen a significant amount of porn are more likely to start having sex sooner and with more partners, and to engage in riskier kinds of
sex, putting them at greater risk of getting sexually transmitted infections.
· Porn has become a fictional version of sexual education for most young people.
· The porn industry has become more extreme
· Sexual preferences of porn viewers have become heavily influenced by pornography.
· Porn edits out the consequences of unhealthy sex practices.
HOW PORN CAN HARM FAMILIES
Research has found that marriages in which one person has a porn problem or sexual compulsion are often plagued by less intimacy and sensitivity, as well as more anxiety, secrecy, isolation, and dysfunction in the relationship. And since many porn users end up losing their jobs as a result of looking at porn on a company computer, these marriages often end up with less financial security as well.
· Marriages with porn problems have less intimacy and sensitivity.
· Porn use increases the likelihood of infidelity.
· Children of porn users experience less parental involvement.
For more information visit: